Here you go . . .
1. Add just one fruit or veggie serving daily. Get
comfortable with that, then add an extra serving until you
reach 8 to 10 a day.
2. Eat at least two servings of a fruit or veggie at every
3. Resolve never to supersize your food portions-unless
you want to supersize your clothes.
4. Make eating purposeful, not mindless. Whenever you put
food in your mouth, peel it, unwrap it, plate it, and sit.
Engage all of the senses in the pleasure of nourishing your
5. Start eating a big breakfast. It helps you eat fewer
total calories throughout the day.
6. Make sure your plate is half veggies and/or fruit at
both lunch and dinner.
7. Eating out? Halve it, and bag the rest. A typical
restaurant entree has 1,000 to 2,000 calories, not even
counting the bread, appetizer, beverage, and dessert.
8. When dining out, make it automatic: Order one dessert to
9. Use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate.
10. See what you eat. Plate your food instead of eating out
of the jar or bag.
11. Eat the low-cal items on your plate first, then
graduate. Start with salads, veggies, and broth soups, and
eat meats and starches last. By the time you get to them,
you'll be full enough to be content with smaller portions
of the high-calorie choices.
12. Instead of whole milk, switch to 1 percent. If you
drink one 8-oz glass a day, you'll lose 5 lb in a year.
13. Juice has as many calories, ounce for ounce, as soda.
Set a limit of one 8-oz glass of fruit juice a day.
14. Get calories from foods you chew, not beverages. Have
fresh fruit instead of fruit juice.
15. Keep a food journal. It really works wonders.
16. Follow the Chinese saying: "Eat until you are
17. Use mustard instead of mayo.
18. Eat more soup. The noncreamy ones are filling but
19. Cut back on or cut out caloric drinks such as soda,
sweet tea, lemonade, etc. People have lost weight by making
just this one change. If you have a 20-oz bottle of
Coca-Cola every day, switch to Diet Coke. You should lose
25 lb in a year.
20. Take your lunch to work.
21. Sit when you eat.
22. Dilute juice with water.
23. Have mostly veggies for lunch.
24. Eat at home.
25. Limit alcohol to weekends.
I hope that at least one of these tips helps you to reach